Message to attendees:
Dear 2018 Autism Conference Participants,
Thank you for registering for the 2018 Autism Conference in Savannah, GA. It is our honor to have you join us on Friday, March 2nd, 2018.
As the Advocacy Director at the Matthew Reardon Center for Autism it has been my mission to increase our community’s capacity for inclusion, acceptance, and diversity. We hope this conference inspires participants to carry these important messages forward.
Here are some logistics as we head into the day:
- Schedule: See schedule here. Reviewing this may assist you prior to your arrival to decide which sessions you would like to attend.
- Venue: Coastal Georgia Center 305 Fahm St. Savannah, GA 31401
- Parking: Here is a map of the Coastal Georgia Center Parking lot. Please park in the Lower Lot and the SIDE SPACE FACING the SCAD dormitory in the Upper Lot. The small dirt lot across West Boundary Street is private parking and towing will be enforced.
- If spots in the Lower and Upper Lots are taken, please use the parking in the Savannah Visitor Information Center Parking Lot. FEES WILL APPLY IN THIS LOT ($1/hour). Plan accordingly.
- Continuing Education Units
- There will be a list of those of you who signed up for CEUs through Georgia Southern. To obtain your CEUs for attending that session, please sign your name next to your printed name. They will be collected at the end of each session. We will submit the applications on your behalf to Georgia Southern following the conference.
- There will be registration folders for participants seeking CEUs. You will be provided with both a “REQUEST FOR CERTIFICATE” form as well as a conference evaluation form. Please complete both and drop it in the designated spot as you leave the conference.
- Conference Evaluation Form
An evaluation form will be in your registration folders. Please provide us with feedback so that we can better serve you in the future.
- Self-Advocate Survey: If you are an autistic person/person with autism, please fill this out and let us know how we can improve. If you are the family member of an autistic person/person with autism, please pass the survey along for your loved one to complete. A copy is also available on our website to complete electronically at http://www.matthewreardon.org/self-advocate-survey/
- Accommodations: To accommodate as many sensory needs as possible, please refrain from using flash photography during or wearing fragrance during the conference.
- Remember that Room 128 has been reserved as a quiet/calm sensory space for participants in need.
- Communication Preferences: As we work to improve our conference experience, we are using an idea adapted from the Autistic Self Advocacy Network (ASAN). We will have small, round stickers in GREEN, YELLOW, and RED available. Participants will have the option to choose a sticker to place on their name badges.
- A GREEN sticker means that the person is actively seeking communication; they may have difficulty initiating conversation, but want to be approached by people who are interested in talking.
- A YELLOW sticker means that people only want to talk to people they recognize, not with strangers. The YELLOW sticker may also indicate that if the person initiates and engages in conversation, it is okay for the approached person to respond.
- A RED sticker means that the person probably does not want to talk to anyone. A RED sticker may also indicate that if the person initiates and engages in conversation, it is okay for the approached person to respond.